Thursday, January 22, 2009

Change I'm Forced to Believe In

My post-graduation plans are solidified, but it seems like they've just raised even more questions. I'll be in Chicago next year, teaching Early Childhood Education. Who am I going to live with? Where am I going to live? Where am I going to teach?

My feelings towards the situation are complex. As I just moved out of my childhood house in North Carolina (and more than likely will never see it again) I'm starting to feel nostalgic about my home state. The facts that my mom is moving to Bangalore for six months and my father is going to Virginia do not help.

While it would be great to be near Dad, I don't really want to live in DC. I would feel strange about living at "home" (since my home was and always will be in North Carolina.) I'm also not particularly attached to the DC area.

New York is another matter. To quote "Sports Night," I kinda had a New York Renaissance. Three of the tv shows my friends and I are watching are focused on the city, and I remember my time last summer there really fondly. It's hard to watch "Mad Men" or "30 Rock" or even "Gossip Girl" without feeling wistful about the Town So Nice They Named It Twice. I know I'd love to live there again in a heartbeat.

That being said, Columbia Law seems really interested in me, so who knows?

Perhaps I'm being unfair to Chicago. It is, after all, a comfort location to me now that I've lost NC. I'll be near people I know (and may even live with some of them.) It just feels weird that I'll be "researching" Chicago all over again. Apartments, neighborhoods, even how to feed myself without Bartlett's loving embrace. And then there's the people. Lest I get sentimental, it's time to pop in another Mad Men.

No comments: