Monday, September 8, 2008

Time to play the music? Time to light the lights?

That wasn't the last post. But now, I am asking you, my dear (mostly silent) readers for some help.

Those of you who know me somewhat well know there's only one dream-profession for me. ("Wealthy gaming czar crime-fighting playboy" does not count.) The answer is Muppeteer. The major problem, of course, being that I haven't real Muppets to play around with. Sure, I've made do with some cheap Sesame Replicas, but ain't nothing like the real thing.


Where do I get something like that? The company that made the standard "Henson fleece" has gone out of business, and Muppet makers are pretty tightlipped. Well, last spring, I found the answer.


To make a long story short, I immediately contacted Vault of Puppets and found out more. Turns out this Kermie retails for $1050. Quoth the frog, "Sheesh." That seemed to be the end of that. But after I wrote to the appropriately-named Steve, he said he took a liking to me and would cut the price down to $650, his "college student" price.

I sat on this for a while, for a variety of reasons including an expensive summer in New York, a meagre bank account, and the terrifying realization that my dream career might not be as long-shot as I thought. It's come back to haunt me now, and I'm in the final stages of making a decision.

What I need from you is this. Tell me: how close is this Kermit to the ur-Kermit that lives in your head? Be honest. I (and some of my friends) are gonna plunk down mad wads of green for this, so there's no point in being easy.

Here are some comparison photos:








Let me know, either in comments, emails, AIMs, or phone messages.

No comments: