Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Week To Go

As of Friday, I had exactly seven days left in New York City. I was originally supposed to be home by now, but I asked my bosses (and Margot) for an extra week, since I'd missed so many days early on. I've had quite a summer, what with turning 21, the Olympics, the election, and a phenomenal job experience, not to mention being in the greatest city on the planet. Rome, Chicago, New York, Delhi, and Calcutta -- the greatest 18 months of my life.

The Imperfect Ganesha

Friday was a half day at work. Not even my boss showed up, so I spent the day researching Government Barbie (c). She comes as part of a special Oil and Gas Lobbyist series and is in near mint-condition -- she's only two years old, after all.

After Forgetting Sarah Palin, I spent the day moaning and groaning as the results of Andre's workout fully hit me. I hit Madison Square Garden to see a play with Ethan, who was nice enough to score free press pass tickets. Unfortunately, the play was not very good. I'll spare you my rant about Western writers using the stale trope of Exotic, Ethnic, Poor India as a mechanism for spoiled white people to "discover" themselves. What was truly notable was that the path the old Connecticut WASP-Ladies took was the same one Ross and I will be taking in December.

Then it was off to Dallas BBQ, a truly obnoxious "Texan" restaurant which is important for being where I began my 21st festivities. Several margaritas and long island iced teas later, I'm rambling to Grider in incoherent doublespeak.

Pseuper-Heroes and Pseudo-Fashion

I woke up today and announced "The eyes are bright! The tail is bushy!" Margot and Noel did not share my enthusiasm. I even threatened to go to the gym! After much complaint, we all managed to dress ourselves and leave the apartment for brunch. We went to this fancy bread place that Margot told me was Lisy's favorite, and I can see why. I got something with arugula because ARUGULA GODDAMMIT. Also, I am a secret muslim antichrist elitist.

Ria called on my way back, and insisted that we go see an exhibit called "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy." Usually, Ria and I have very disparate tastes when it comes to cultural pursuits. This, however, is what is known as "compromise."

The exhibit was amazing. They actually brought up some very interesting points about the iconic nature of superhero costumes, and how some of them mirror fashion traditions. Also, IRON MAN SUIT and BATMAN SUIT DROOOOOOOOOL. They even had a gallery of original debut comics, like Amazing Fantasy 15 and Action Comics #1. Which is impressive, considering those comics are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. But it's the Met, so go figure.

Anyway, I'm sold on the Met. It can stay. The end.

No comments: