Saturday, July 19, 2008

Comic Relief

Yesterday I arrived at the house of some family friend who'd known me quite a while. They first met me in 1992, when I was five and they were twenty-five. Now I'm almost as old as they were when they first met me. Talk about perspective.

They had guests over, and it had the potential to turn into one of those awful Indian gatherings where I just sit in the corner, but luckily there was an English lit. student from Binghamton who was just a year younger than me there. She and I talked Batman, Firefly, and comics in general, so it wasn't that bad an evening. She said she'd put me in touch with her NYU friends, who also like comics. And here I thought I wouldn't meet anyone new in the city.

Today I told the family about my four-day annual mother's day event. The father thought it was the greatest thing he'd ever heard of in his entire life. The seven-year-old wants to come for Scav this year. I was doing very well until I mentioned that I'd looked up which cities are on opposite sides of the globe (for the Earth sandwich) and the ten year old told her Dad that his "Nerd virus was spreading." I think my status as cool, older cousin is in jeopardy. Although I did take them to see "Journey to the Center of the Earth", so I think I get some points for that.

They're going to a gathering tonight which I'm not required to go to, so I am free to watch the Avatar finale in peace!

No comments: