Saturday, July 26, 2008

Livin' La Vida Local

I'm feeling finally settled in as a New Yorker. In a day defined by largesse, I loafed around the entire time at work today, spent far too much on meals, saw a Broadway show, and returned to an apartment flooded with electronix.

Due to a $700,000 check being misplaced, my boss overlooked the sixty or so grant recommendations I made and frantically began calling the agency that was assigned to deliver it. (I'd been working on my project most of the month.) As such, she told me to "surf the Internet and pretend you are gainfully employed. Here, copy this if you absolutely must."

Luckily, my DCAU collected comics series was done torrenting at that point.

After work, I called my Dad to wish him a happy birthday. Then I met Ria at this somewhat pricey place for Italian food before seeing [title of show].

So, I generally don't hold truck with PoMo bullshit, and especially not in my favorite medium, but for some reason the meta-elements really worked for me. The cast was just so goddamned earnest and charming and clever that they totally won me over. I wasn't really a part of the target audience for the show, not being 1) gay 2) obsessed with musicals or 3) a New Yorker. So it was kind of interesting. It was akin to me and Pelks talking Muppets in front of a captive audience for 90 minutes.

The two leads reminded me of my relationship with Ross, except for two differences: they were gay but unmarried to each other.

Afterwards, I came back to an apartment and noticed that Neil had delivered an extra futon, two tables, a toaster, several feet of extension cord and (wonderfully) a TV. I set up everything in five minutes, but kinda over did it. At one point, waiting for the Wii's wireless to connect, I had my computer playing music, the toaster going, the Wii, and my DS as I waited. I heart technology.

Then I played my first online Brawl match with my Wii against Adam and Becca, which was oodles of fun.

All in all, it was quite day.

No comments: